top of page

Most Commonly Asked: Questions About Permanent Residency

Updated: Feb 25, 2020

1. Is it faster to go through a provincial nominee program or through federal Express Entry?

Answer: The provincial nominee program (paper application process without Express Entry) is essentially a two-step process. The first step is to apply for nomination from the province using the provincial set of application forms and checklist. However, receiving a nomination does not mean that you are a permanent resident. It would take the second step, application for permanent residence to the federal government after receiving a provincial nomination, for the primary applicant and their dependents to become permanent residents. When you consider the timeline of both, the provincial nominee way is a longer process. However, most provinces are now on Express Entry too and do grant up to 600 points for provincial nomination and this way is not as long as the above mentioned. The fastest way for most people who are otherwise eligible, is Express Entry.

2. When will I qualify for a bridging open work permit?

Answer: For Express Entry applicants, at the time when you get an invitation to apply is when you are eligible to also apply for a bridging open work permit. In the case of applicants going through the provincial nomination process, after you have sent an application to the federal government for permanent residence and received a file number (application was complete and accepted into processing) is when you become eligible for an open work permit.

3. Are language scores necessary to get permanent residence?

Answer: Under Express Entry, you do not have an option to create a profile without eligible (less than two years old) language scores on an approved language test. Under the provincial nominee program of most provinces, official language scores are also required although they are typically lower than those required of Express Entry applicants.

4. What kind of documents do I need to prepare for a permanent residence application?

Answer: The documents list will vary depending on your country of origin (any country-specific instructions) plus PR category economic class, family class or otherwise, and federal or provincial stream. The documents submitted to the province in a provincial nominee application will be different then those submitted to the federal government also. Keeping that in mind, one can generally expect to need the following: marriage certificates and divorce verdict, birth certificates, passports, language scores (less then two years old), ECA assessment for foreign educational credentials (less then five years old), national identity documents, criminal record checks, photos, education and employment proof including letters of recommendation and/or employment income/tax information, Notice of Assessment/T4 (inside Canada applicants). Any documents not in one of Canada's official languages of English or French must be translated.

5. What do I do after I get permanent residence or CoPR?

Answer: When you receive confirmation of permanent residence, you must proceed to do landing as a permanent resident. One way this can be done, is by making an appointment locally for CoPR interview by emailing their general delivery mailbox for CoPR appointments. Another option is to land at an official border crossing after having legally entered another country and returning to Canada and/or by coming from your country of origin with a PR visa counterfoil in your passport. There are some changes regarding flag poling through the US border without legally entering USA that came into effect recently so please be vigilant of all developments around this issue. Once you have completed your landing, you are now a permanent resident and your PR card will come in the mail to your residential address. You should take advantage of updating your Health Card and drivers license, if applicable, and apply for a permanent social security number through Service Canada.

Permanent Residency Digest - Canada

56 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page